Hi guys today I will be sharing the basic practice routine that I used to get really good results in Certificate of Performance and pass the AMusA in piano. I hope these tips can help you along on your piano journey.
- Step 1. Practice the piece one page at a time.
- Step 2. Start practicing slowly and separately, starting off with the right hand and following with the left
- Make sure to lift your fingers up for clarity.
- Step 3. After that, begin practicing the one page, separately in the 4 main forms of dotted rhythms
- This should improve the consistency and flow of the piece so that every note is even.
- First start with the right hand followed by the left hand.
- Do dotted rhythms separately.
- Then proceed to doing rhythms together.
- Step 4. Play the one page piece slowly in the 4 main dotted rhythms.
- This should increase the evenness of your playing, and improve the consistency.
- Make sure to play piece in dotted rhythms, slowly and lifting the finger with wrists up for the clarity and clean notes.
- Step 5. Play the one page piece in time with the metronome.
- It should be smooth and consistent making sure you lift up your fingers.
- Increase the speed each week until it reaches the correct speed on the metronome.
- Step 6. Repeat the process with the next page until you finish the whole piece.
- Step 7. Memorize.
- To develop memory, every time you practice a page.
- Try to play the page you have just practiced for memory. – Trying to include all the expressive details on the page.
- Step 8. Repeat the process with the next page until you finish the whole piece.
- Cumulatively add each page of music you have practiced to your memory until you have memorized the whole piece of music.
Bryan Ng | Head of Piano Education