- Practice Instruments Everyday for 1 hour to keep skills sharp.
- Step 1. Learn notes and include all the stylistic details listed on the page like dynamics and phrasing.
- Step 2. Practice slowly at first and play the song in 4 different dotted rhythms so that the music sounds even and not choppy.
- Step 3. Perform song slowly at first, keeping in time with the metronome speed.
- Step 4. Gradually increase metronome speed until you reach the correct speed of the piece.
- Repeat Steps 2-4 everyday.
- Once song is mastered, develop memory with steps 5 and 6.
- Step 5. Do steps 2-4.
- Step 6. Each time you do steps 2-5 with each page of music; play the part you have practiced for memory.
- Step 7. As you increase pages, practice the song for memory until you have reached the end of the section you have just practiced.
- Repeat until the whole song is memorized.
- Step 8. Perform on the street or competitions for confidence and experience.
- Step 9. Crush the exam, and then wow the examiners with your memory skills.
- Takes 1 year to master repertoire of songs.
Bryan Ng | Head of Piano Education